Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Deep in the Past

This week Thomas has been trying to find the recipes for some of the things we used get at Christmas when we were kids; Snowballs, Strawberry Candies, Coconut Ice, and some other treats; of course the Mincemeat and the Cakes and Puddings came from Wonderbread Bakery, as we had a delivery man that came around the neighbourhood on a regular basis, just like the egg lady and the milk man;
     I have found a few of the treats in a book that Mom left me,

Let’s Cook!

Compiled By

14th Peterborough
Scout Ladies Auxiliary

Murray Street Baptist Church
Peterborugh, Ontario

I haven't tried any of them yet, but when things quieten down after the holidays, will have a go at them; and report here the results; update, I have tried several of the recipes over the years, just didn't know it ;-) Unbaked Chocolate Cookies, Tomato Soup Cake, English Coconut Ice (think Kendal Cake, Michelle ;-) and Date Squares; perhaps there are others; thinking that I will be dipping into it a bit this year, along with the one below, Mrs Beeton's book  ;)
       was out with Lisa and Thomas and got looking at the stand up Mixers, and asked a lady what she was looking for in one, as I had no idea which to look for; well, she took me through some of the features, and then asked me how much I would be using it; well, I am thinking at least 1 to 2 times a week, so she recommended Kitchen Aid, as it is all metal construction, some have plastic gears; so guess that I will save up for this KA ;)
     Mom was into making pickled red cabbage and pickle-lily, as well as a few other things from the garden, horse radish ;) for dinner garnishes; that I would like to try to find the recipes for; I do have a verrrrrry tattered old recipe book without cover, index mostly gone, and falling apart really; she bought it when she got married, back in 1947, so I am assuming that it is one she used a lot; may find these recipes there; 
      But a few days ago, I found a recipe book online, that I had heard about, but never seen; I think every British cook has heard of this book, though like me only know it by reputation; Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management;

http://www.mrsbeeton.com/

I understand that it sold like hot cakes back in the day, 1861 ;) and so there should be many copies available still in England, so when I am there next, or perhaps online, will look for a copy for myself; she has a lot of recipes that are familiar and yet different, reading it is like being back home, yet not quite ;-) I did the Mincemeat recipe from her book, and tonight will be sampling some of it in tarts, comparing it to some I made from a modern recipe last year; report to follow BWG
      OK, the cheapest one I have seen is a Facsimile copy for 50 pounds ;( unless someone wants to buy me a first edition for 2000 pounds LOL don't you dare, would want to put it behind a glass case ;-) will make do with the online version for now; 

No comments:

Post a Comment